Advisory Services on Secondment of Expatriate

  • We provide a comprehensive analysis of the tax and regulatory implications on seconding an expatriate in India.
  • The advice covers the Permanent Establishment issues, tax efficient salary structure advice, the applicability of social security contributions, foreign exchange issues and other tax compliance requirements.

VISA documentation and Bank Account opening

  • We assist expatriate and the employer in arranging the correct documentation for VISA and Bank account opening purposes.

Obtaining FRRO Registration (Foreign Regional Registration Offices)

  • All foreigners visiting India on a long term visa of more than 180 days, are required to get FRRO registration done within 14 days of their arrival in India.
  • Foreigners (including minors above the age of 16) need to get their registration done. Therefore, the family members of the expatriate, above the age of 16 will have to get themselves registered.

Obtaining Permanent Account Number (PAN)

  • We assist in obtaining PAN, a unique identification number given by the Indian income tax authorities and an expat needs to obtain it in case his/her income is taxable in India. This is also used for filing a return of income in India.

Computing Withholding taxes and making tax equalization statements

  • The entity employing the expats is required to withhold the taxes (accurately converting salaries in foreign currency as per the Income-tax Rules, 1962 and taking into account various exemptions and deductions) due on the salaries paid to those expatriates.
  • Post this withholding the entity needs to pay these taxes to the government and file quarterly returns of withholding taxes in Form 24Q with details of the expatriates.
  • At the end of the year, Form 16 which contains the taxes withheld and computation for taxable salary and Form 12BA containing detail of perquisites has to be issued.

Assistance in Income Tax Return Filing and disclosure of Foreign Assets and Liability

  • We assist the expatriates in finalizing the computation for the relevant financial year and filing the income tax return before the due date i.e. 31st July of the next financial year.
  • We also help the expat to disclose the overseas foreign assets and liabilities in case it’s applicable.

Completion of Exit Formalities

  • Prior to final departure from India, we help the expat to obtain an Income-Tax Clearance Certificate (‘ITCC’) from the Indian tax authorities and get the FRRO canceled.
  • The ITCC is required to be presented to the immigration authorities.